VIA Rail Canada Inc.
Advisor, Capital Projects
Reference Number: 14190_122021
Status: Permanent - Full time
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Application Deadline: 2022-01-27
Reporting to the Director, Financial Advisory Services, the Advisor is responsible for financial monitoring, control and reporting for capital projects primarily for the Business Transformation Office (BTO), as well as monitoring capital budgets for the entire corporation.
Financial control for capital projects for the Business Transformation division:
- Complete end-of-month journal entries;
- Plan, approve and monitor PSCs;
- Analyze monthly results and produce an executive summary;
- Contribute to the preparation of budgets and financial forecasts.
Financial control of the corporation’s capital budget envelopes:
- Contribute to the development of the required capital fund allocations for the five-year plan and monitoring of different divisions.
Financial review of business cases for capital projects, the approval process and post-mortems and financial closure for projects:
- Assess revenue and cost projections in collaboration with divisions and project managers;
- Analyze metrics to assess project success and performance.
Oversee the improvement of tools and systems (Oracle costing software) for financial monitoring of projects:
- Become a power user and assist with system improvement and maintenance.
Actively participate in the documentation of processes and guidelines in collaboration with the Corporate Project Management Office and ensure that the organization’s capitalization policies are applied.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or administration;
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in budget monitoring and financial analysis at a medium or large business;
- CPA, CA, CPA, CMA or MBA;
- Advanced knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite (Excel, PowerPoint and SharePoint) and Project Costing EBS.
- Diplomatic and thoughtful, sound judgment, excellent analytical and organizational skills;
- Strong financial analysis, planning and budgeting skills;
- Strong communication skills in English and French, both written and spoken;
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment;
- Team player;
- Interpersonal skills;
- Customer focus.
The advantages of working for VIA Rail:
- A workplace who fosters health and well-being for all our employees;
- A wide range of health and wellness benefits for you and your family, including an unlimited access to a telemedicine service.
Condition of Employment:
VIA Rail is committed to protecting the health and providing a safe environment for its employees and customers. Therefore, in accordance with current policy, VIA Rail requires that all members of its staff be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof as a condition of employment.
VIA Rail thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. VIA Rail is an employment-equity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. VIA Rail Canada is proud to be a military friendly employer.